Sunday, March 22, 2009

On the Subject of Perfection

Francesca Batistelli has a song in which the chorus says, "Perfection is my enemy". I understand that she is trying to say she struggles very hard with becoming perfect: "...I got a couple dents in my fender...On my own I'm so clumsy..." But stating that perfection is an enemy is a very strong statement!
 
Jesus is the definition of perfection, just as He is the definition of truth and God is the definition of love. To say that perfection is your enemy is saying that Jesus is your enemy.
 
It is not lost on me that lyricists, poets, and other writers try to express their feelings in metaphor-free, unique ways, but I think sometimes we try so hard to sound original that we aren't aware of what we are saying. Whether your content is 'theologically thick', doctrine is still important, and ignoring the doctrinal foundation of Christianity is reckless, to say the least.

No comments: